Do you remember the movie “Judaai” in which the Sridevi sells her husband for 1 crore rupees.That was a movie, a concept or fiction one may say.
But often I have been listening and sometimes see couples marrying for the sake of money.The main motto is comfortable and financially secure life, instead of the actual reason of getting married.No wonder the marriage runs in troubled waters and after one point it may disintegrate; but still people go for it.
Here in US, I not only heard but even met few people who married only for the sake of getting a Green card and settling down -an
easy way to a financially secure life.Love was never in picture and may never come too since the very foundation of marriage was money.
Result – rampant divorces, kids suffering out of broken marriages,infedility,social tensions etc.
Why I was prompted to write this post was due to an incident which happened with me.
I was on vacations in Miami with friends , strolling along downtown area where a band was playing and people enjoying.I was standing there tapping my foot,when I noticed a handsome man in late 20’s with a baby in a stroller standing near me.As per my talkative nature, conversation followed between us and that 30 minutes of talk really moved me.
I will not mention the entire conversation but this statement which still echoes in my mind.The man pointing towards a lady in her early 40’s said “Do you see her,she is my wife,she had 3 kids and this one in stroller is mine; She is a bitch you know but buddy ,she has big money & gets me whatever I want .And that’s why I married her.”
I have been haunted by these questions ever since this conversation happened, and I pen down here for you all too.
1) Does money matters everything in life ?
2) Shouldn’t love be the base of any relationship forget about marriage ?
3) Has men stooped to such lows that he doesnot bother about his life and other’s too ?
4) Does material needs of a person supercede his emotional needs ?
5) Aren’t such happenings a blot on the piousnous of this sacred relationship called marriage?
6) Can someone be ready to spend his entire life with someone he hates or doesn’t care about ?
7) Aren’t animals better off in such scenarios than human beings ?
8 ) So called “conscience” of a person – Is it dead ?
9) What will one answer to God when one faces him in the end ?
I am still looking for answers but one thing has been proved.There are many such people who take such steps and somehow as a society we have accepted it …As a silent mute spectator.
Degrading and rotting human values.